I was gifted with an abundance of fresh vegetables today (actual pic above) and I immediately went to work making a detox salad…well, mainly because I am doing a detox week, but a little bit because I really, really LOVE this salad even when I am not detoxing. How do I detox? It depends. If I’m wanting to shed a few tummy pounds (like this week), I rely heavily on leafy greens, juicing and a low calorie diet. Sometimes, I do only veggie soups, sometimes I do raw. It depends on your body and how it reacts to certain cleanses. You can always email me to find out more.
ANYWAY, This salad got wolfed down by my husband and I in no time flat. We absolutely adore it and I hope you do to.
Before you whip this up, here are just a few facts you may not have known. Information listed below was sourced from www.mindbodygreen.com and www.fullcircle.com
a great way to rid the body of parasites (yes, everyone has them!) AND…
- Protects against Salmonella
- Is a good source of fiber
- Helps bind to heavy metal in your body
- Is a great anti-inflammitory herb
- Rich in magnesium, iron and phytonutrients
- Lowers blood sugar
- Relieves intestinal gas, and prevents nausea
- Prevents urinary infections
- Lowers LDL(bad cholesterol) and raises your HDL(good cholesterol)
- Reduces menstral cramping and hormonal mood swings – I need that!
this is why I use an entire bunch in this salad!
1. Beets are nature’s Viagra – Seriously. One of the first known uses of beets was by the ancient Romans, who used them medicinally as an aphrodisiac. And that’s not just urban legend – science backs it up. Beets contain high amounts of boron, which is directly related to the production of human sex hormones.
2. Beets are high in many vitamins and minerals – Potassium, magnesium, fiber, phosphorus, iron; vitamins A, B & C; beta-carotene, beta-cyanine; folic acid. These are but a few of the many nutrients, vitamins and minerals that can be found in beets and beet greens. Beets are particularly beneficial to women whom are pregnant, as the vitamin B and iron are very beneficial to new growth cells during pregnancy and replenishing iron in the woman’s body.
3. Beets cleanse the body – They are a wonderful tonic for the liver, works as a purifier for the blood, and can prevent various forms of cancer. Nuff said, right? Tastes good and prevents cancer? Sign me up!
4. Beets help your mental health – Beets contain betaine, the same substance that is used in certain treatments of depression. It also contains trytophan, which relaxes the mind and creates a sense of well-being, similar to chocolate. Beets can also lower your blood pressure. So if you’re already steamed about not eating beets, you can get a two-fer by diving into them right away.
5. Beets are used as a stomach acid tester – How in the world does that work? Glad you asked. If you are eating a lot of beets or beet juice, and your pee turns pink, guess what? You have low stomach acid. Pee still clear? Ratchet it up and get juicing (use the greens too)! Nutritionists use beets and beet juice to test stomach acid levels, so stay ahead of the curve by adding beets to your diet now.
6. Beets are a high source of energy – At the same time they are low in calories and high in sugar (although the sugar is released into your system gradually, as opposed to chocolate). Very few foods found in the natural world are as beneficial as beets in this regard.
So, after you eat this salad, you will be ready for anything!
The Kale Detox Salad
- 1 bunch cilantro – chopped rough
- 1 bunch kale – stems removed – chopped rough
- 1 medium beet – peeled & grated
- 1/2 cup pecans – chopped rough
- 8 dried figs – chopped
- 3 tbls olive oil
- juice of 1 small lemon or orange (my favorite)
- salt & pepper to taste
Toss everything in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. You can adjust the lemon/orange, salt and pepper to suit your taste. You can also add any kind of nut and substitute any dried fruit or dates for the figs.
NOW you can follow me on Instagram – search word ZUMAMA
OR on Facebook – search ZUMA ORGANIC
I adore hearing your thoughts on all of my recipes, so please leave a comment if you have time and as always, I encourage you to share this with a friend. Happy Eating!