Nothing says time saver like a good old fashioned Tamale Pie! This one takes about 25 minutes of prep and about 15 minutes in the oven. You can make it a day ahead and is a great potluck item to bring to all of those school functions! You can use any ground meat, including a soy based vegetarian substitute. I like using ground chicken usually, but this time I tried ground turkey and it was fabulous.
- 1# Ground beef, chicken, turkey or soy substitute. You can also chop up a bunch of veggies and use those!
- 1 bell pepper – chopped fine
- 1 cup frozen (or fresh!) corn
- 1 clove garlic – chopped or minced
- 1/4 red onion – chopped fine
- 2 tbls coconut oil
- 1 tomato – chopped (and yes, use the seeds & juice!)