- Unsalted butter, softened, for pan
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons best-quality honey
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Caramelized pears
- Freshly whipped cream, or nondairy whipped topping, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter a 10-inch springform pan. Dust with flour; tap out excess.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and soda, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl; set aside.
- Mix eggs and sugars on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until pale and thick, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk together honey, milk, oil, and zest. With mixer on low, add honey mixture to egg mixture; mix until combined, about 1 minute.
- Add half the flour mixture; mix until smooth. Mix in remaining flour mixture. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake until dark golden brown and a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- Let cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Run a thin knife around edge of cake; carefully remove sides of pan and transfer cake to a platter.
- Top with pears. Serve with whipped cream or topping, if desired.
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living Cookbook