You can absolutely switch out regular smooth peanut butter for the almond butter! These make great additions to your child’s lunchbox and a great after school snack. This recipe is adapted (and tweaked a bit) from one of my all time favorite cookbooks “Super Natural Cooking”. Don’t expect these to be hard and crunchy, like the marshmallow ones…these are delicate and soft…and way more delicious and nutritious!
- ¾ cup smooth unsalted organic almond butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup agave nectar
- 1 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
- 2 ½ tsp agar flakes
- ¼ cup salted sliced almonds
- ¼ cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 4 ½ cups unsweetened crisp brown rice cereal (not puffed) – I used chocolaty brown rice cereal for mine above!
Prepare a baking sheet or similar pan lined with parchment paper.
Combine the almond butter, syrup, agave, salt and agar flakes in a large saucepan and stir until smooth. All ingredients should be melted at this point. Remove from the heat and add in the crispy rice cereal. Stir until it’s well coated.
Transfer the mixture to the baking sheet and press down using the back of a wooden spoon.
Refrigerate until completely cool, then cut into desired sized pieces.